Texas Parks & Wildlife, the Athens Municipal Water Authority, local fishers, and Lake Athens adjacent property owners, have met over the last few months to formulate a plane for aquatic vegetation treatment for 2018. By having the “stakeholders” of Lake Athens involved, this plan can guide all those impacted by aquatic vegetation.
A few highlights of the plan include:
- You will be able to treat your shoreline, up to either 6' in water depth, or 75' from shore.
- Each ingress/egress account must apply and obtain a separate permit signed by the adjacent landowner .
- Vegetation treatment permits are valid for six months from the application date to TPWD.
- Applications for vegetation treatment permits will only be accepted from March 1 to May 31, annually.
- Mechanical Treatments may be conducted at anytime, after the applicant has been granted approval from TPWD and the Authority.
- Chemical Treatments may be conducted during the following windows:
- May 7-May 18 (in order to qualify for this time period, all paperwork must be submitted no later than April 23)
- June 11-June 22
- August 13-August 24
More details, including the management plan can be found here.